From Who Comments? - the encyclopedia of comment & opinion
Full name: Richard Littlejohn
Area of interest: Politics, Society
Journals: Daily Mail
Website: MailOnline / Richard Littlejohn
Books & Debate:
- The Essex Girl Joke Book (as Ray Leigh, with Brent Wood, 1991, Corgi Publishing) - a collection of Essex girl jokes, co-written (with "Brent Wood") under the pseudonym "Ray Leigh".
- You Couldn't Make It Up (1995, Heinemann, ISBN 0-434-00238-0) - named after one of Littlejohn's catchphrases, and described on the jacket as "a brilliant collection of liberal-skewering wit and wisdom", this is a book of recollections and opinion pieces on subjects such as political correctness, politicians, corporate "fat cats", the European Union, and the British Royal Family.
- To Hell In A Handcart (2001, HarperCollins, ISBN 0-00-710613-0) - named after another of his catchphrases, this is Littlejohn's first and only novel, based loosely on the Tony Martin case. The book was lambasted by critics for its portrayal of asylum seekers and the stereotypical individuals in the book, notably by The Independent's David Aaronovitch who described it as "a 400-page recruiting pamphlet for the British National Party. However, it received positive reviews from some conservative writers such as Frederick Forsyth and Andrew Roberts. This was later the subject of a BBC Radio Five Live discussion with Will Self.
- The Book Of Useless Information (with Keith Waterhouse, 2002, John Blake Publishing, ISBN 1-903402-79-4) - co-written with Keith Waterhouse, this "stocking filler" book is a collection of "useless" facts, described on the cover as "all you never needed to know and didn't need to ask."
- The Ultimate Book Of Useless Information (with Keith Waterhouse, 2004, John Blake Publishing, ISBN 1-84454-060-X) - another volume of "useless" facts.
Latest work: Littlejohn's Britain OCLC 80331667, 2007 (Described by the Observer as "Lampooning New Labour with polemic, pastiche, parody, satire and savage social commentary.")
Website: MailOnline / Richard Littlejohn
- Jackboot Jacqui... our 'Second Home' Secretary - To the editor of the Redditch Bugle: Sir, I write in connection with the disgusting campaign of vilification against our marvellous MP Jacqui Smith - 10th February 2009
- Isn't it time the Golliwog Squad finally grew up? - (Row: Carol Thatcher's use of the word 'golliwog' ended with her dismissal from the BBC) Now that the Queen has been dragged into the Great Golliwog Controversy, the only remaining surprise is that the police haven't got involved - 5th February 2009
- Gissa job! It's the Boys from the Brown Stuff - Back in the Eighties, there were two brilliant dramas set in unemployment-blighted Britain. First came Alan Bleasdale's Boys From The Black Stuff, about a Scouse tarmacking gang - 3rd February 2009
- Open up, madam. We've a warrant to search your fridge - Recession, what recession? The economy may be going to hell in a handcart, but the Government still has money to burn - 27th January 2009
- Earmuffs on, no more music to the ears as elf'n'safety shunt teachers into silence - The Trumpet Taliban have struck again. Fresh from threatening Zippo the Clown with prosecution for playing an exploding tuba without a public performance licence, they've turned their attention to school music lessons - 22nd January 2009
- The one person who hasn't bought into all the 'Messiah' hype is Obama himself. That's why he COULD be truly great - For weeks, the Right-wing radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh has been calling it the ‘immaculate inauguration’. And yesterday, it came to pass - 20th January 2009
- Getting up the noses of the ‘guilt-tripping white folks’ - When I asked Trevor Phillips why he'd turned his back on a successful career in television and taken his last job as head of the race relations commission, he replied: 'Because I can say things you can't.' - 19th January 2009
- Wanted for hate crime - After a week which has seen 11 football fans arrested for alleged homophobic chanting and the royals embroiled in a controversy over racist language, how long before the 'hate crimes' vigilantes widen their net still farther? - 15th January 2009
- Log on to Mork and Mandy in Labour’s La-La Land - AAARGH! As if one of them wasn't enough, Peter Mandelson is being cloned in cyberspace. A cartoon-like image of him will soon appear on a new website - 12th January 2009
- How Mr Sheen's become an enemy of the State - What was I saying about proof of identity being this year's elf 'n'safety? Seems I didn't know the half of it - 8th January 2009
- Welcome to 2009. Heads we lose, tails we're all doomed - According to a fatuous new survey, yesterday was the most stressful day of the year. Given that we're only six days into 2009, things can only get worse - 5th January 2009